2nd Half Blitz Stuns Scottsdene

Villager FC overcame a determined Scottsdene Central side 72 – 21 in a stunning 2nd half blitz that saw 50 points scored in a display of power running that Scottsdene had no answer to. Half time score 22 – 18.

Playing in sweltering conditions, reaching a high of 41 degrees, the Dirty Whites did not have the upper hand in most of the first half as a result of too many errors and a lethargic start that allowed Scottsdene to run the Claremont based team ragged using their speedy outside backs to apply immense pressure on their defence.

Villager FC should have scored from their first touch of the ball after loose forward, Eddie Ntaka broke two tackles and surged forward only to take contact rather than pass to support on his outside. This error seemed to usher in a period of looseness in the Villagers game plan that clearly did not suit their bigger pack especially if one considers the extreme heat. Villager did have some consolation with a penalty converted by Reece Gregg after a period of pressure but were unable to cross the whitewash.

The first try of the game was scored through Villager hooker, Troy Lee after good work from the pack. Gregg converted. This was to be the last period of dominance for the Dirty Whites as Scottsdene capitalised on unforced errors and a string of penalties that resulted in two tries from quick taps and two converted penalties that had the Dirty Whites under pressure for some time.


Man of the match, Ryan Germishuys on the charge

Villager struck back with two tries from man-of-the-match tight head prop Ryan Germishuys and outside centre David Radloff before half time to calm the game down slightly and edge Villager ahead on the scoreboard.

Half time score 22 – 18.

The second half saw Scottsdene start well and were rewarded with a penalty that they converted to move them within one point of Villager, however this was to be their last points of the game. The rumbling Villager pack soon began to dominate proceedings thereafter with their strong ball carries beginning to tell on the Scottsdene defence. Germishuys picked up his second try of the afternoon after a maul in the Scottsdene 22m that triggered the Dirty Whites into action and culminated in an eight try blitz that stunned the Scottsdene faithful.

The dominant Villager scrum began to pay big dividends in the second half and were eventually rewarded with a scrum penalty in Scottsdene’s 22m which substitute scrumhalf, Christo Terblanche used to quick tap that sent skilful flyhalf Jarred Stokes over after a sublime dummy. A counter attack try followed soon after through livewire fullback, Jethro Valentine, as a result of a poor clearance kick from their under pressure scrum.

The bench, for the second time in two weeks, had a big impact on the outcome of the game with replacement Brent Sanders picking up two long range tries, hooker Scott Pitcher claiming one and scrumhalf Christo Terblanche scoring one.

Villagers last two tries came through Germishuys, who picked up his third, and hard running centre David Radloff picked up his second. In all Villager scored eleven tries, eight of them in the second half in a stunning display of running rugby that Scottsdene had no answer for.

Final score 72 – 21.

Although Villager started slowly their eventual dominance was played in no small part by the front row of Adrian Cleophas, Troy Lee and Ryan Germishuys where their dominance in the tight phases ensured some quality ball for the backs, while loose forward Jannie Bester was again carving up Scottsdene’s defence out wide. The lineouts were again a pillar of strength with Stephen Buerger calling the shots with good efficiency. While the back line lacked some fluidity as a result of the previous week’s changes, they looked dangerous once the game opened and were able to utilise their full range of skills scoring six of the eleven tries.


Replacement Brent Sanders picked up a brace of tries

Some good lessons were learnt during the first half especially when the elusive Scottsdene backs had Villager scrambling, Head Coach Andrew Hughes believed it was a good experience, “The Scottsdene backs were exceptionally quick and caused us all sorts of problems out wide which goes to show you have to be careful when playing too loose. However I was exceptionally happy with the way the team never panicked, they put their heads down and kept working hard which resulted in a great second half display. Once again our leadership core showed their immense value.”

Ashley Clarke, Captain of the Villager side, was happy at the result but believed work still needs to be done, “The end result is a good one for us away from home, scoring eleven tries is an exceptional effort especially in this heat, but I think we need to take lessons from this game especially the way we started and the way we deviated from the game plan that allowed Scottsdene to put us under huge pressure, but having gone through this now I believe the boys have learnt what not to do against sides like Scottsdene that thrive off turnover ball.”

Villager FC have a full house of points after two rounds of the SLB. They now have a two week break during Easter before their next game against Milnerton away on May 2.


Tries: Ryan Germishuys (3), Brent Sanders (2), David Radloff (2), Scott Pitcher (1), Christo Terblanche (1), Jarred Stokes (1), Troy Lee (1)

Conv: Reece Gregg (5), Stuart Pattison (2)

Pen: Reece Gregg (1)

1st XV vs Scottsdene:

1. A. Cleophas, 2. T. Lee, 3. R. Germishuys, 4. S. Buerger, 5. R. Bezuidenhout, 6. J. Bester, 7. E. Ntaka, 8. A. Clarke (cpt), 9. J. Sweetnam, 10. J. Stokes, 11. R. Gregg, 12. D. Radloff, 13. S. Pattison, 14. D. Venter, 15. J. Valentine

16. S. Pitcher, 17. A. Coetzee, 18. K. Ngwanya, 19. B. Blows, 20. C. Terblanche, 21. B. Sanders, 22. E. Baneti