Villager FC, currently occupying 9th on the SLA log this year, travel out to Helderberg on Saturday 13 June to take on last years SLB title rivals, Sir Lowrians, who currently lie in 10th, in the last League fixture before the mid season break. Kick off is at 16h00.
After a string of heavy defeats and only 3 wins from 8, Villager FC are in desperate need to not only consolidate their position in the SLA but prove to the rugby community that their Right Reasons approach can be a success in the top flight of club rugby.
Whilst the Villager side still have chances to prove their undoubted potential, this weekend sees them come up against a Sir Lowrians side who will understandably still harbour memories of last years loss at Brookside that denied them the SLB title they had worked so hard to achieve.
Of course coming up against Sir Lowrians is not easy with the players they posses, however their run of 2 wins from 7 suggests that the ‘Navy Train’ are experiencing the same difficulties the Brooksiders have faced in the SLA after being promoted last year. With that said though, Sir Lowrians have come close against Community Cup Champions Durbell and proved their class with a 2nd half performance that almost saw off SK Walmers recently.
With the game out in Helderberg, Villager will need to ensure that they arrive not only in body but mind too as Sir Lowrians will undoubtedly have targeted this weekends game as a possible win. However with Director of Rugby Troy Lee taking the reigns for the remainder of the season, and the addition of Warren Edwards as backline coach, nothing less than the players absolute best will be acceptable for this weekend and moving forward.
Looking at the Villager team the injuries to Stuart Pattison at centre, Jannie Bester at flank, Ryan Germishuys at prop and the unavailability of James Allderman at fullback will be felt, however the return of Ashley Clarke from suspension and the addition of Stephen Beurger at lock, Oscar Makaza at centre and Wayne Van Niekerk at 15 will go some way at negating the impact of the losses.
Other changes from the False Bay game sees Brandon Hamman come in at tighthead prop for Germishuys, whilst Brent Wienand makes a return after a brief injury lay-off. In the loose forwards only Ryan Le Roux moves from eight to flank to accommodate the return of Clarke.
The backline sees a number of changes with Andrew Jones Davies moving from the wing to flyhalf in a move which acknowledges the youngsters potential. Jones Davies will have a big task ahead of him however against Springbok Earl Rose who, although playing club rugby, is still a handful on attack.
Joining Jones-Davies sees Oscar Makaza and Wayne Van Niekerk making their débuts, with Dean Tattersal moving from 15 to wing and youngster Damian Rawstone moving from the bench back into the starting line up. Completing the backs sees nippy running scrum half Zubayr Abrahams and Dan Clarke at centre.
Director of Rugby Troy Lee believes that the side selected can turn things around this weekend.
“I believe that the team we have selected can and should be in a good position to win this weekend, but make no mistake Sir Lowrians are a tough side and we are not expecting any favours from them.”
“We will have to arrive in Helderberg with the right mindset and be ready to play from minute one. The standards we have set this week are non negotiable if this team are to finish this year in a respectable position.” Lee continued.
Villager FC look forward to playing at Sir Lowrians for the first time and encourage our members to support us out in Helderberg.
Villager FC 1st XV vs Sir Lowrians RFC 1st XV
1. Nic Vetsos 2. Daniel Searle 3. Brandon Hamman 4. Stephen Beurger 5. Brent Wienand 6. Kwakhona Ngwanya 7. Ryan Le Roux 8. Ashley Clarke 9. Zubayr Abrahams 10. Andrew Jones-Davies 11. Damian Rawstone 12. Daniel Clarke 13. Oscar Mazaka 14. Dean Tattersal 15. Wayne Van Niekerk
16. Reinard Rhode 17. Brandon Henning 18. Luke Westgarth-Taylor 19. Sean Johnstone 20. Eddie Galpin 21. Ryan Massyn
Villager FC 2nd XV vs Sir Lowrians RFC 2nd XV
1. Adrian Cleophas 2. Gary Frank 3. Jarred Amon 4. Keegan Ackerman 5. Cameron Doyle 6. Simon Greenwood 7. D Lourens 8. Chadwick Peterson 9. Zaheer Dramat 10. Christo Terblanche 11. Yannis Benrabah 12. Ryan Massyn 13. Donny Venter 14. Gerard Pederson 15. Kevin Lock
16. Ant Moss 17. Adrian Padua
Villager FC 3rd XV vs Sir Lowrians RFC 3rd XV
1. Cieran Fitzgerald 2. Biggie Mtokonya 3. Junaid Bradlow 4. Richard Letherby 5. Graham Lindeman 6. Jason Botha 7. Allie Williams 8. Brandon Neethling 9. Zahir Omar 10. Ross Henebry 11. Damion Spalding 12. Dillan Ranger 13. Matthew Rockhill 14. Archie Nzita 15. Iggy Allie
16. Abubaker Pansarey 17. Yazeed Sadien 18. Alwie Basha 19. Chris Sadi 20. Kurt Kuhn 21. Taufeeq Parker 22. Anees Jaffer
Villager FC 1st XV vs Sir Lowrians 1st XV 16:00 A field
Villager FC 2nd XV vs Sir Lowrians 2nd XV 14:45 A field
Villager FC 3rd XV vs Sir Lowrians 3rd XV 13:35 A field
Villager FC u20 XV vs Sir Lowrians u20 XV 12:15 A field