Finally!! Three weeks to go and the 2018 season will kick off much to the relief of coaches and players who for the past 5 months have been training under the most extraordinary circumstances. It has been incredibly difficult to gel what is a new Villager team and which can only be done when you have access to a full field for training. We are not as fortunate as other clubs who have been playing in Super League A for some time now and have a core of experienced players who (despite the training difficulties) understand one another and have played with each other before.
The season, therefore, is as follows (league fixtures provisional and if there are changes you will be notified):
– Saturday 26 May Derby Day (friendly) vs Hamiltons (home).
– Saturday 2 June vs Durb-Bell (home).
– Saturday 9 June vs Hamiltons (away).
– Saturday 16 June vs Tygerberg (home).
– Saturday 30 June vs Belhar (home).
– Saturday 7 July vs Brackenfell (home).
– Saturday 21 July vs SK Walmers (home).
– Saturday 28 July vs Uni-Mil (home).
– Saturday 4 August vs St Georges (away).
– Saturday 11 August vs UCT (away).
– Wednesday 15 August vs UWC (away).
– Saturday 25 August vs Maties (home).
– Wednesday 29 August vs Victorians (away).
– Saturday 1 September vs NTK (away).
– Saturday 8 September vs False Bay (away).
No easy games and, therefore, the call is for the Villager family to come together and support this year’s player group and especially visit the club on home matchdays. It means so much to the players when they see the “oumanne” at Brookside as it reinforces the stories they have been told about the Villager tradition and history.
The Villager FC has been most fortunate to secure Eddie Jones, England Head Coach, to do a talk at the clubhouse before the Newlands Test Match on Thursday 21 June at 19h30. Neal Hatley, ex-Villager and current England forward coach, will also be present. The talk will be led by Gavin Rich and the cost of a ticket is R250 (cocktail snacks included). Tickets (only 200 tickets) will be sold on a first-come-first-serve basis and to secure your ticket(s) please contact Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those of you who have not yet been down to the refurbished clubhouse, please diarise Derby Day on Saturday 26 May and again see old mates from both Villagers and Hamiltons on what will be a fun-filled club rugby day. See you then !!
VFC RUGBY ADMINISTRATION.