Villager FC, after some mixed results in this years SLA that have included some heavy losses and narrow victories, travel to traditional rivals and title contenders, False Bay RFC, in a Southern Suburbs derby fixture away at the Philip Herbstein Fields in Constantia on Friday night. Kick off is at 9pm.
After a promising start in this years campaign followed by a run of four consecutive losses, Villager FC as a club and as a first team have been through the mill emotionally, however with last weeks crucial away win over St Georges, the club has moved to sixth on the log behind False Bay who are currently unbeaten and lie fourth.
Although the log positions sound promising one has to look further into the games played and who the opposition were. Villager have played one game more than False Bay and have played 4 of the bottom 6 teams, compared to False Bay who have played, and beaten, SK Walmers, Maties and this years Community Cup Champions, Durbell.
With False Bay riding high after their stunning win over Durbell on the 16th, Villager will be up against another team that have had the measure of them in recent years.
The last time ‘The Bay’ and Villager met was in 2013 whilst both clubs found themselves in the SLB. The drop to the B League was not taken lightly by The Bay who used the year as a rebuilding opportunity, a strategy that ultimately culminated in their winning the league that year, which included two victories over the Brooksiders including a 66 – 0 victory in Constantia.
Of course the Brooksiders have been on a rebuilding phase of their own and as a result won the B League the following year in 2014 after extensive changes in coaching and playing personnel.
With both clubs having been in the B League and having successfully won their way back into the top league, tonight’s game looks set to be an extremely interesting contest that many a local rugby enthusiast will be happy to see resume.
Villager has made few changes from last weeks victorious side that beat St Georges, crucially however they will still be without the services of Captain Ashley Clarke who is still banned after his red card against UCT two weeks ago. The loss of Ashley has been felt, however the inclusion of Ryan le Roux at eight has filled the gap somewhat, whilst the return of Vice- Captain Stuart Pattison tonight further improves the on-field leadership.
Other changes in the side sees Nic Vetsos return to the front row to face off against his former club and Ryan Germishuys makes a very welcomed return to the starting fold at tight head prop, whilst Deon Grierson comes into the side at lock alongside Luke Westgarth-Taylor who moves up from the seconds.
In the backs an all-new half back pairing sees Zubayr Abrahams make a return at scrumhalf and James Allderman move into pivot, whilst Daniel Clarke moves to centre in a strategic move the Villager coaches will be banking on working this evening. The only other changes in the backline sees the return of Dean Tattersal at fullback.
Head Coach Gunner Hughes is positive for tonight.
“False Bay are a great side and have claimed some big scalps this year already, whilst we acknowledge that we are still in a rebuilding phase, I expect nothing less from the fellas this evening.” He says
“We are obviously missing Ash (Clarke), the fact is these things happen and it is all about how the side rise up from the last few weeks and accept that each game must be taken as it comes. I believe the team is ready tonight, whilst the weather may play in our favour.” Hughes concluded.
Villager FC looks forward to visiting False Bay once again to revive our long-standing rivalry on the Philip Herbstein Fields and encourages as many Villager supporters to make the trek out their to enjoy the game this evening.
Old Villager members are also invited by False Bay for pre-match drinks with fellow False Bay members in a celebration of our friendship. Drinks start at 5:30pm tonight in the False Bay tent.
Villager FC 1st XV vs False Bay RFC 1st XV
1. Nic Vetsos 2. Daniel Searle 3. Ryan Germishuys 4. Deon Grierson 5. Luke Westgarth-Taylor 6. Simon Greenwood 7. Kwakhona Ngwanya 8. Ryan Le Roux 9. Zubayr Abrahams 10. James Allderman 11. Luke Masasire 12. Daniel Clarke 13. Stuart Pattison 14. Andrew Jones-Davies 15. Dean Tattersal
16. Scott Pitcher 17. Brandon Hamman 18. Payden Viviers 19. Sean Johnson 20. David Coombes 21. Trent Jenkinson 22. Damian Rawstorne
Villager FC 2nd XV vs False Bay RFC 2nd XV
1. Adrian Cleophas 2. Ant Moss 3. Jarred Amon 4. Keegan Ackerman 5. Matthew Wheal 6. Gavin Roos 7. Jayme Marinus 8. Chadwick Peterson 9. Brent McDougall 10. Oscar Mazaka 11. Yannis Benrabah 12. Junaide Joseph 13. Ryan Massyn 14. Kevin Lock 15. Wayne van Niekerk
16. Biggie Mtokonya 17. Junaide Bradlow 18. Stephen Beurger 19. Allie Williams 20. Zaheer Dramat 21. David Radloff 22. Donny Venter
Villager FC 3rd XV vs False Bay RFC 3rd XV
1. Junaide Bradlow 2. Biggie Mtokonya 3. Ben Robinson 4. Rich Letherby 5. Graham Lindeman 6. Allie Williams 7. Alwie 8. Yazeed Sadien 9. Ross Henebrey 10. Dillan Ranger 11. Damion Spalding 12. Darryn Walters 13. Donny Venter 14. Phumi Pepeteka 15. Gerry Pedersen
16. Josh McMillan 17. Archie N’Zita 18. Taufeeq Parker
Villager FC u20 XV vs False Bay RFC u20 XV
1. Garth Baker 2. Brandon Henning (VC) 3. Newton Sacco 4. Nelisa Magadla 5. Thaabiet Charles 6. Ish Sedien 7. James Langauge 8. Jermaine Achilies 9. Christian Western 10. Ash Reid (C) 11. Tristan Segels 12. Julio Abels 13. Johan Botma 14. Callum Blows 15. Yaasien Salie
16. Aidan Mesane 17. Shakeel Solomon 18. Dean Harris 19. Karly Bond 20. Joel Murphy 21. Jabu Zimande
False Bay RFC 1st XV vs Villager FC 1st XV 21:00 A field
False Bay RFC 2nd XV vs Villager FC 2nd XV 19:45 A field
False Bay RFC 3rd XV vs Villager FC 3rd XV 18:35 B field
False Bay RFC u20 XV vs Villager FC u20 XV 18:30 A field