After much anticipation for a good, hard, full rugby match against Ceres it was disappointing to find out on arrival that we were only due to play 25 minute halves. However it was what it was and the players re-focussed for the shortened version. The game kicked off with Ceres showing off with some enterprising rugby with their strength area without doubt being their backs who were small but dangerously nippy. This open style afforded them an early penalty which they duly converted. 3 nil to Ceres.

Villager then came back hard at Ceres with some great attacking play and ball retention. In this area there was without doubt improvement from the previous week’s game. After sustained pressure Villager were eventually awarded a try 5 metres out form the Ceres line and for the 2nd time this pre-season pushed over the opposition pack for a well taken try by 8th man Kwaks Ngwanya. Clarke converted. 7-3 to Villager.

Villager continued to dominate, especially in the set pieces, and finally culminated in a penalty converted by Clarke. 10-3.

Straight form the kick off Villager collected the ball and showed some exciting touches before one pass too many was made which bounced loose and one of the Ceres backs took the opportunity and scored under poles. Against the run of the play and maybe the turning point. 10 all. Halftime.

The 2nd half was an extremely disappointing one for Villager as they clearly held the upper hand in most areas but struggled to convert this pressure into meaningful points. In addition to this there were some ordinary defence in the backline which led to 3 soft tries through the midfield. Villager scored one good one by the ever elusive scrumhalf Zubyar Abrahams.  The final whistle eventually blew at 29-17 to Ceres.

All in all the lessons learnt from this game will help to take Villager forward. Many of the errors are quick fixes and mostly down to communication.

Villager look forward to taking on Super A League neighbours, Primrose, this coming Saturday at Brookside.