Villager Football Club ended a credible 12th (15 teams participate in the Super League A) in the 2018 season – one of the toughest in our clubs’ great history. Having been promoted from the Super League B in 2017, the committee coaches and players approached 2018 with much vigor and excitement. However , the Western Cape faced what was to be the worst drought ever and club rugby was postponed by the WPRFU as a result thereof.
This meant innovative measures had to be put in place to keep the players and coaches interested and motivated which fortunately we did.
The club hosted some wonderful “events” namely the Eddie Jones Q and A evening and the visit by Cardiff Blues and their greatest rugby player of all time , Sir Gareth Edwards – wonderful!
The Saggy Stone Villager pub is a success where members , friends and family can enjoy a meal and drink in a lovely venue.
Our club relies on sponsors and sadly at the end of 2018 we said goodbye to ESET who had given the club incredible support for a number of years. The committee are working tirelessly to find a new sponsor , however associate sponsors such as Saggy Stone , KWV , Distriliq, TK Sports and Land Rover Constantiaberg have stepped in to support our efforts.
Villagers prides itself on its inclusivity and diversity. We are a happy club where ALL players and members are treated equally. Our club colours , the crisp white jersey, jet black shorts and fire engine red socks are recognizable world wide- we need to retain and always recognize these values.
To our players and coaches, I wish you the very best for the 2019 season and to our members , I can only request that you pop down to our great club and remember to please pay your subs.
Finally, I would like to thank the committee, led by our Chairman , Gerhard Witte , for their passion and commitment to the Villager cause.
In pursuit of its mission, the Club actively promotes the following values:
• To respect and continue our heritage.
• To play an attractive brand of rugby, play to win but play to enjoy.
• To support an amateur ethos, and in so doing aspire to be the best club we can.
• To play as one Club and to foster team spirit across ALL teams.
• To help all players achieve their full potential regardless of age, standard or ability.
• To provide the very highest standards of coaching and support that we can.
• To foster an environment based on friendship, trust, transparency and respect.
• To create Ambassadors of the club and role models for the game of rugby.
• To promote equal access and opportunity for all.
• To provide a safe, welcoming and friendly environment for members, members’ families and visitors alike.
The coaches and managers of the Club will work towards the achievement of the following objectives in 2019:
• To provide an atmosphere of enjoyment for all players, supporters and sponsors.
• To develop player skills, abilities and confidence.
• To provide a committed platform of management and coaching expertise to all.
• To manage with ability, understanding and personal care for each player and to provide good communication channels with all players.
• To initiate, implement, manage and maintain our new structures.
• To remain in SLA on our terms and be competitive across the board.
• For all our Senior and Junior sides to strive to finish within the top 6 of their respective leagues.
• To ensure every player receives equal opportunity to participate, improve their skills, progress their playing careers and enjoy the Villager Football Club culture.